JanelleStalder

Janelle Reads and Writes

Lover of the written word! Join me as I discuss books, both my own and those I've read and loved.

Seduced in the Dark (The Dark Duet, #2) - C.J. Roberts Wow. This book completely exceeded all my expectations. The story was so much more complex than I anticipated after reading the first book. Absolutely amazing. I don’t normally do reviews, but I had to for this one, because I was literally amazed once I had finished. It was like Fifty Shades meets Girl with the Dragon Tattoo. The mystery and twists that happen blew me away. It was literally an emotional rollercoaster that had me sometimes putting it down for a minute just to collect myself. I’ve never wanted two effed people to get together more than I did Olivia and Caleb. I actually just wrote a guest blog on shades of grey in stories and how much I like them. (http://makingconnectionsgroup.blogspot.ca/2012/09/eden-west-by-janelle-stalder.html) This story has so many shades of grey it’s amazing. It’s one of those books that make you stop and re-evaluate your thoughts on what’s happening. How can you want these two people to get together when you know it’s SO wrong?! And yet you do! The author completely messes around with your common sense and rational thinking and has you rooting for two people who are beyond effed up. And yet, as the story unfolds and you’re smacked across the face with this revelation that literally broke my heart and had it bleeding for Caleb, you start to question if either of them are at fault for the way they are. It was literally such an amazing book. The writing is superb. The characters and story will stick with me for a long time. I though Comfort Food by Kitty Thomas messed with my mind, but this took it to a whole new level. I’m just thankful that it ended the way it did. I was REALLY scared for about 95% of the book, but once again the author threw me for a loop and totally made me happy. If it hadn’t ended the way it did, I’m not sure my heart would survive. I’ve always defended Fifty Shades against haters, explaining that the true story is not about the sex scenes, but about the character evolving and healing from a horrible past. This story shows that same growth in both characters, but even better. Definitely one of my favourites of the year!